Bobbles in a contrasting color are one of those lovely texture stitches that makes the fabric more lively and interesting.
You create bobble stitches by crocheting several incomplete double crochet stitches into the same stitch and then joining together all the stitches at the top. For this tutorial I used 5-double crochet bobbles, but you can choose to make bobbles using more or fewer double crochet stitches depending on how much you want them to pop.
In this tutorial I show you step by step how to make bobbles in a contrasting color with detailed photos and explanation to find it easier to learn even if you are a beginner crocheter.
Let’s get started!
1. The first thing you need to know about crochet bobbles is that they will stand out on the back side of your working row.
2. Change color before you start the bobble, making the final loop of the last stitch in the contrasting color. Now you are ready to make your bobble with the new color.
3. Yarn over and insert the hook into the next stitch, holding the unworked color across the top of the row and crochet over it to enclose the unused yarn inside your stitch until you need it again.
4. Yarn over and draw up a loop.
5. Yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook.
6. Yarn over, insert your hook into the same stitch and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook. Repeat this step 4 times total. 6 loops on hook.
7. Pick up main color with your yarn hand.
8. Yarn over with main color yarn and draw through all 6 loops on hook. Bobble made!
9. Continue working with main color, working into the stitches and over the unworked strand of contrasting color to the next bobble stitch.
10. The unused color is carried along and are covered by the single crochet stitches you are making.
11. Complete the last step of the stitch before the color change with the new color.
12. Now you are ready to begin the next bobble stitch with the contrasting color.
13. Here you can see the 2 sides of the fabric and how beautiful and neat is the result using this technique.
My Hygge pillow have an accent row of bobbles in a contrasting color and I love how beautifuly stands out and how bobbles combines at the same time with the rest of the pattern using a main color and a contrasting color.
So Cheerful and cozy!